Better Your Grades Workshop

For many people, time management skills don’t come quite as easy as it does for others. Sometimes, finding the right and most useful way to study can be a challenge and therefore, leading to unwanted stress.

Having these key skills is vital, especially throughout your university degree. But would we need these skills once we graduate and start working? The answer is yes.

Once we graduate and enter the workforce, skills such as time management, note taking and looking after your health and wellbeing will definitely increase your success in the future, no matter what career path you are interested in taking.

Since I study journalism, keeping to deadlines is one of the most important skills to have. Not just with assignments, but getting interviews done and getting the story out before the end of the day, if not within the hour so it can make headline news.

Last year, I interned at my local newspaper, and I was lucky enough to build on my organisational and time management skills. I was always working to deadlines, getting multiple stories written so they can reach the editor before the end of the day.

While it seems quite daunting working to strict deadlines especially as an intern, over the few weeks I was there, it got easier. I realised that being able to multitask was a huge aspect in this industry and was so helpful in helping me improve my time management skills. I would be interviewing one person over the phone, while at the same time writing down important quotes from the interviewee, while receiving a lead to another story and while finishing up the previous story. While it seems like a mess, I was able to get all my work done before clock off time.

But also, learning not to let the pressure get to you when times get busy. Remaining calm and collected is another key skill and will definitely help when you need to multitask. And take breaks now and then. After all we are only human and there is only so much we can do, so take the time to walk around and take a breather.

You may not think it now, but building on these skills while you are still in university and have the resources to do it will definitely help you in the long run.

Throughout August, La Trobe is hosting the Better Your Grades workshop, where you can gain tips on how to improve on your time management, note taking, learn some study tips, how to help your networking and engaging with fellow students plus heaps more.

Click here to register for the event before heading down to TLC-114 for the workshop.