The sky is the limit

Stephanie is our new intern at the Wise ASSC Blog! In this post, she opens up about her own personal university journey and the highs and lows she has experienced along the way.

Hi fellow students, my name is Steph and I’m the new Student Editor at the Wise ASSC Blog – and I’m so excited to get stuck into it!

I love the idea of opening up to you all about my time at La Trobe and hope that you can relate to my student experiences in some way or another. In my eyes there is nothing better than knowing you’re not alone on this big, long journey – because let’s face it, university is a challenge and we all need to motivate and inspire each other every now and again.

I am heading into my fifth and final year of my degree in Law and Media and Communications, with a major in Journalism. These past four years have been an absolute whirlwind, but I don’t regret a single minute.

I grew up loving writing, reading and pretty much anything English related. I was always that kid that won readathons in primary school – so it’s no wonder I’ve ended up studying the course I am today (law has endless amounts of reading!)

I still remember my first day of uni. I had no idea where any of my lectures were and had to embarrassingly stop people in the Agora for directions. But that’s the thing about La Trobe, everyone is so kind and welcoming.

Settling into university life was easier than I initially thought it would be. I joined the Law School’s Mooting competitions, made a ton of lifelong friends and most importantly – I studied my butt off!

But if there’s one thing La Trobe has taught me, it’s that you have to learn to take the highs with the lows. Sometimes you don’t always get the academic results you aimed for or the dream internship you so desperately wanted. There will be times where you feel completely lost about the direction you’re heading, and that is completely okay. I’ve had my ups and downs throughout uni life, so I hope that I can share these experiences with you to make yours a ton easier.

Heading into my fifth year of my double degree feels surreal. Looking back on it all, I have learned so much both academically and about myself. I hope that after graduating next year, I pursue my passion for justice in the legal industry or utilise my broadcast skills in an exciting journalism role. I am still unsure which path to take, but that’s the beauty of a double degree – there’s so many options!

University is all about embracing opportunities and being up for the challenge. In the words of Theodore Roosevelt – “believe you can and you’re halfway there.”