Onto the Next: Goodbye, “Cheerio”!

As the semester comes to its end, my time at Wise ASSC as an intern, and my enrolment as a La Trobe student, does too. 

Amongst the workload of final assessments, the madness of global events, and writing up a dissertation proposal for my home university, I’ve barely had a chance to realise that my exchange experience is pretty much done.

It’s definitely not how I imagined the second half of my year abroad to be – completing La Trobe courses online and back at home in the UK. I thought I would be packing up before going travelling for a little bit, and then returning home to a British Summer – not sitting at my desk or on my sofa completing assignments, having been home for a few months already. 

I’m very fortunate and grateful that I’ve been able to continue my course and internship. I’m so glad I got to study certain subjects that aren’t offered here at home, and get experience as an intern, both over the summer and this semester. I’ve learnt so much from my classes and work experience that I know will benefit me as I go into final year of university.

Of course, I miss being on campus with my international friends and the campus environment, exploring Melbourne and the rest of Australia, and working in the office. It obviously hasn’t been the same as being present, but I’m thankful I got to continue studying as a La Trobe student either way.

Getting the chance to fly across the world to study and work abroad has been one of the most incredible experiences I’ve had, and only at 21. It’s been eye-opening and overwhelming, but it’s helped me grow and be more confident. 

I may have said this before, but if you get the chance to go abroad for a while – do it! It’s scary, yes, but phenomenal. I would not change or give up my time at La Trobe for anything in the world. It’s hard to believe that in July it will be a year since I arrived at the university!

As I write this reflective piece, my heart does grow heavy. I wish I was still in Melbourne, with friends and co-workers, and with a chance to say a proper goodbye. Leaving so suddenly is a bittersweet memory, as I was lucky enough to travel and return to Australia for a bit before coming back home. Hopefully, when travelling has gone back to a bit of normality, I’ll return to Australia to do the trips I planned and see the friends I made in Melbourne again. I sincerely miss the university and Melbourne, and will never forget my exchange year abroad. 

I want to thank all of my teachers and supervisors at La Trobe, who were so supportive while I was there, and for the opportunity they gave me. Thank you to all that have read and will read my posts, as a hopeful writer it means a lot that time is spent absorbing my work.

But now it’s time for the next steps, and a new student to step into the editorial shoes. This time next year I will have finished my dissertation and completed my undergraduate degree – crazy! 

So, that’s the last from me! Thank you again, and goodbye!

Lisa x