Lesson 3: The world is a very big place

Hello, hello, hello! Welcome back to my series the Top 5 Lessons I’ve Learnt at Uni

I hope you all smashed out your assignments over the mid-semester break and ate a whole lot of yummy chocolate over Easter. 

In writing this series, I’ve been looking back at my time at university and thinking about the main lessons I’ve learnt. It’s been pretty difficult narrowing it down to the ones I want to share. 

So, in trying to narrow it down, I thought about the things I wish I knew when I started uni. It sounds really simple and quite obvious, but I wish someone told me just how big my world was about to become. 

Thinking back to first year, it’s crazy to see how much I’ve changed from the person I was then, to who I am now – both as a student and as an individual in general. 

I think I’ve changed so much because the environment I was in changed dramatically. I went from my local high school, to a MASSIVE university. 

I loved my high school experience – I was surrounded by amazing peers, taught by incredible teachers and learnt some valuable lessons. But when I think about it, typically everyone at high school is from the same local area, where everyone knows everyone. 

You get to university and suddenly you’re in the big wide world. As Dorothy said – we’re not in Kansas anymore Toto.

Also, you’re eighteen and apparently that means you’re an adult now (???). I know, I’m twenty-two and I still can’t get used to it.

University is a place where you meet lots of new people. You’re suddenly surrounded by a cohort of incredibly intelligent and like-minded individuals, who are all interested in the same degree as you. These people can challenge you in the very best of ways. 

But not only that, at university you’re exposed to a whole array of new ideas, views and values, both inside and outside of the classroom

You might find that some of your ideals or beliefs are suddenly challenged. You might not view the world in the same way anymore. Your entire perspective may change. 

My advice – be open to all of this. 

Steph