Prof. Hindsight, Super Hero Extraordinaire

I’m sure we have all thought at some point throughout our university endeavors that if we could go back in time, we would have done things a little differently. Perhaps we would have been more diligent in our first year, studied a little harder for that important exam or not have gone out ten times in the past month despite being flat broke.

This is exactly how I felt during the conclusion of my bachelor’s degree at The University of Melbourne. I had frequently heard that “Ps get Degrees” which, from my personal experience, I can confirm is true. However, what they had failed to mention is that although Ps get degrees, degrees achieved by just scraping though made it considerably harder to gain employment or qualify for further studies.

I had studied Psychology, which requires approximately four more years of study on top of the three-year bachelor degree to become fully qualified and job-ready. The only problem was that in order to get into my fourth year of studies, I required an average mark of approximately 80%. From my prior statement, it is evident that I did not achieve this. Furthermore, I was beginning to question whether psychology was the right field for me. I had become rather disenfranchised with the prospect of monotonous research and report writing. I could not envisage myself doing it.

And so begun my quarter-life crisis. Unsure of what I wanted to do and feeling helpless from wasting three years studying something that had little use to me, I decided to continue my current part-time job as a cashier at a Mexican restaurant. It took me approximately six months before I slowly came out of my self-loathing and devised a plan of action.

In my head, the wise words of my girlfriend echoed. “Now Alex, there is no point in dwelling on the past – you can’t do anything about it”. She was right. I could not change my past, but I sure as heck could redo it! I decided I would go back to university and study business. I told myself, “This time it will be different! This time I will study super hard and get amazing results!”

Of course, this was easier said than done.

But here I am, nearing the end of another three-year degree and I could not be happier. I am glad I went back to university. I am glad I chose La Trobe. Heck, I am even glad I spent three years doing my previous degree! La Trobe offered me so many opportunities I never received in my prior studies. I found everyone was much more personable and approachable. This allowed me to do so many things that I would have otherwise never done. From receiving the opportunity to student tutor subject to even being able to write this blog post, the opportunities were endless.

I guess this point of this message is that if you are unsure about what you’re going to do after university, unhappy with your results or are not sure whether what you are studying is right for you, don’t panic. There are always new opportunities. Take it from me, a 25 year old that is only just finishing his undergrad and entering the workforce in something he is passionate about. Sure, some people get lucky, study something they like and get accepted straight into a graduate role.  However, for many of us, we take a little longer to find our calling.

Our generation is one of the first generations that is expected to have 3-4 different careers throughout our working lives so if you are worried that what you are doing isn’t right or feel like you’re falling behind everyone else in this rat race, chances are everything will most likely level out in the end.