Ending Chapters, New Beginnings

Graduating in May this year, Eleanor is looking forward to putting her Bachelor of Media and Communications to use and exploring her options as the year begins to progress. She has come to the end of her time here at the Wise ASSC student blog.

My experience at La Trobe University over the last three years would be similar but also different to many of those around me. I moved to Melbourne early 2016 into one of La Trobe’s four living spaces, Menzies College. This was, and not to sound cliché, quite a life changing experience. I hadn’t really processed the thought of how my new surroundings and the people around me, were going to become my new home and friends.

I got very engaged with all the social activities and events that were occurring on college, so much that I forgot the real reason as to why I was here, and that was to study. Early on I learnt the importance of making connections and friends within my course to help me once I was coming to the end of my course. My biggest regret was not holding onto those connections throughout my studies but sometimes you realise things a little too late.

And then before I knew it, I was entering my final semester of University and it dawned on me that I still hadn’t figured out what I would be doing with myself after I graduate. Even now, with all my subjects completed, and my internship coming to an end, only now have I started looking into my options about what I can do with the year ahead of me.

I think coming to the end, it’s nice to reflect on everything that has happened in my last three years at university. The things I have learnt, the people I have met and the friends I have made, have all made my time here at university worth it. And even though I continue to respond with “I don’t know” to anyone that asks me what I am doing after university, I still feel further along in my life then I did beforehand.

This experience with the Wise ASSC student blog has allowed me to learn more about La Trobe and to meet new people that I otherwise wouldn’t have met. Being able to see only a small part of the behind the scenes of what occurs to make everything possible at La Trobe is amazing. There are so many services around La Trobe that are here to help and support you in every way possible.

University is about stepping out of your comfort zone. More often than you think, the majority of people around you are in the same shoes as you and are feeling shy and out of their comfort zone as well. Be the one to say ‘hey’ or ask them a question, you will thank yourself in the future when you then have a group of people you can ask for help when you get stuck. They could also become some of your best friends, but you will never know until you say hello.

Thank you to those who have supported me throughout the last three years, and those who have been reading my posts through the Wise ASSC blog. Everyone has played a role in my journey, and for that I am very thankful.  

To anyone just starting out at University, make sure you take every opportunity you possibly can and don’t be afraid to take risks. Share your experience anywhere you get the chance because it might just help someone out or it could be a chance for a wider audience to hear your story. If you are feeling up to it, you could even submit your story on here, we always love to hear new and interesting pieces, whether it be a poem, an experience or just something you wish to share, let us know.